Thursday, December 23, 2010

Rest

Heb 4:9-11 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God,  for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. ESV
Heb 4:10-11 God himself is at rest. And at the end of the journey we'll surely rest with God. So let's keep at it and eventually arrive at the place of rest, not drop out through some sort of disobedience. THE MESSAGE
A.B. Simpson wrote these stirring words:
Once my hands were always trying; trying hard to do my best; now my heart is sweetly trusting, and my soul is all at rest.
Once my brain was always planning, and my heart, with cares oppressed;
Now I trust the Lord to lead me, and my life is all at rest.
Once my life was full of effort, now 'tis full of joy and zest; since I took His yoke upon me, Jesus gives to me His rest.
When people are around you, do they feel at ease? Do people feel the peace and rest you exude, or do they feel the unrest you project?  
Being peaceful is a challenge to most of us. Everything in life screams for our attention.  Work and the “almighty buck” compete for our time.
When you hear the song Silent Night, Holy Night, can you feel the quietness and the rest? Do you long to experience it? I think you and I need some rest today. 
During this time of year, it is especially important to rest. When I say “rest” it is not always in activity, though that is important as well, it is keeping a devotional time with God.  It is doing things that produce rest.  Trying to rest may be the hardest work you will do! The Bible says in Heb 4:11 {KJV} Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest…!
It is God’s command that we rest, so we should not ignore it. He knows what is best for us. We cannot break the principle of rest without paying the price of disobedience. A lot of us might find it strange that God thinks it is disobedient not to rest.  Sure, God wants us to work, but he also wants us to stop working.
In fact, what Hebrews is speaking of is a restful-labor.  Well we have ceased from our religious works. We have stopped trying to get in heaven by our own efforts and are resting in God’s grace.  We are resting in God’s works.  What do I mean?  Ephesians 2:8-9 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith — and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. NIV
Titus 3:5 he saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, NIV
Romans 5:1 Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, NIV
God did the work so be at rest!  Jesus does on the cross to save you, so stop trying to save yourself.  What because we know we are already approved and accepted by God. 
You’ll work better! When you are at peace people can feel it.
Without being too technical, Hebrews 4 uses two words in the Greek language for rest. One is Sabbatismos , the other katapausin.  You do not have to be a Greek scholar to see that contained in the first word, is the word “Sabbath” {rest every seven days}. Amusingly, contained in the next word is the word “pause.”  They are different but are connected.
Basically katapausin or rest is actually “a place of rest.”  Most scholars feel like this is descriptive of heaven.   Sabbath is what you experience when you go to heaven.  Pause, repose, relaxation and ultimately peace are what you experience in heaven.  So one word is the place where you are resting. The other word is the “rest” you’re experiencing when you get there.
Have you ever heard the expression “she is in a good place?”  We say that about someone that has gone through stuff and is much better than she was before. You have to be in a “place” of peace and rest to “experience” peace and rest. 
You say, “Heaven is great, but I need peace now!”  God wants us to have a little heaven on earth. He wants us to have a place of rest, a place where you put your feet up, repose, pause, reflect and relax.”   
Do you have a place you can go physically and spiritually where you can rest?  Look at it this way:  If your house is your place of rest, do you actually experience rest there?  I’m not asking you to be a monk, but there are times when you need to get away from it all. It is not necessarily a vacation either because we are busier on vacation than at our place of employment.
No, it is a place where you can sit and look at a lake, maybe some mountains by yourself. Pull up in your car put some soft worship music on and pray.  Maybe you just need to put some music on and sleep. Be creative about your place of rest and you will be a better, more peaceful person.
Find time to be still on a regular basis. It is in moments of rest that you are most likely to hear God speak to you.
Lastly, remember no matter what you do, my friend, there is no real rest outside of God. 
Ps 62:1My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him.
Ps 62:5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
Ps 116:7 Be at rest once more, O my soul, for the Lord has been good to you.
Mt 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Get right with God, confess you sins and be at peace with yourself and with one another. 

Pastor Mike

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/pastorgibney

Church Web Site: www.newgathering.com

No comments:

Post a Comment