Friday, January 14, 2011

Delays are detours not cancellations


Hab 2:3 Put it in writing, because it is not yet time for it to come true. But the time is coming quickly, and what I show you will come true. It may seem slow in coming, but wait for it; it will certainly take place, and it will not be delayed. TEV

I love to travel. I feel like George Bailey in It’s a Wonderful Life when he says that, “the three most exciting sounds in the world are: Anchor chains, plane motors, and train whistles.”  I like the smell of diesel in a truck stop because it always reminds me of my traveling days. 

This has been a great trip to North Carolina. The people of Celebration Live were very gracious and received the word with humility.  We had two powerful morning services, and a great preaching-planning retreat and tremendous fellowship. 

I got here early at Charlotte-Douglas airport.  I had been concerned when I would get home. A huge snow storm slammed the east coast, again, messing up travel. Carefully, I made sure my bags were below 50 pounds and wore sweats, so I would, at least, not have to take my belt off.  The bag attendants checked my bags outside, which is always nice.  He asked me, “What is your destination?” I told him Allentown with a connection in Detroit. He took care of my bags and said "you have been rerouted thought Atlanta, your flight was canceled to Detroit."  Then, as I checked the monitors in the airports, I see that next to my flight number is the word "delayed".  But was it?  Actually, my trip was more detoured than delayed. I called my wife and  made the appropriate arrangements with her to pick me up at a  later time.  I knew no matter what or no matter how long, I would eventually get home.  Ominously, as I walked by the gate A-5 where I was supposed to go originally to Detroit, in red led letters on the information sign it says "canceled."  I saw a line of people that were not as fortunate as I was to be rerouted. They were on cell phones spouting to others about this inconvenience and making the necessary changes.  

I walk up and down in the airport biding my time, tantalized by aroma of the Cinnabons' counter. Those cinnamon rolls seem to have Geico Eyes staring at me and I hear voices in my head, “you know you want me.” But self-control wins and I opt for a coffee -- at least this time.   

Now I sit down to write to you with the thought,” I may be delayed, but I am not canceled.  I am recharging my phone and my computer while I wait.  
With this I am reminded that sometimes it seems our dreams, visions and plans are delayed, but when they are from God they are never canceled. They are just detoured. So while you wait in your spiritual airport... sit down, recharge and write! Keep the dream alive! Remember God’s delays are not a cancellation of the vision, he is just rerouting you to the best destination.  Is it inconvenient… sure! But you can make the best of it and as it says in Habakkuk 2:3, “Put it in writing, because it is not yet time for it to come true. But the time is coming quickly, and what I show you will come true. It may seem slow in coming, but wait for it; it will certainly take place, and it will not be delayed.” TEV

God provides detours that seem like delays. There are disappointments in life that seem to set back your plans but they are actually detours. On many GPSs they have a detour button.  When you press it the device sends you a different way. This is a great feature when you hit traffic or need an alternate route because of construction. Some GPSs have a function where they can detect traffic jams and send you around them. It takes longer, but it still gets you there. Remember, God’s timing is so different than ours. What we think is a delay is just an alternative route to God’s will for our lives.  It’s not a delay, it’s a detour. 

We all make mistakes large and small with all good intentions.  We do things to help people and live for God and find out we did something wrong. Did you ever forget a bill or it seemed no good act went unpunished when you helped someone and it just it blew up in your face?   Sincerity, I hope counts for something, but God, nevertheless, will provide course bypasses to get us back on track. Hit the grace button and let God get provide a way of escape. God will get us out of the ditch if you  let him. Listen to his voice and seek his word and pray for him to rescue you. You will feel a peace that everything will workout.

Keep speaking words of faith. Keeping praying for God’s mercy and grace! Keep writing down the vision and read it for it will not delay, it will happen, even though it is not like you thought it would.  
I’m home now and thankful to be with my family again.  Does it seem like I was delayed? Yes, but I was just detoured.  Timing is not as important as destination.   

Pastor Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment