Monday, November 22, 2010

Broken-hearted? Part 1



Isa 61:1-4 The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me, because the Lord has  anointed me to bring good news to the poor; he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and  the opening of the prison to those who are bound;  to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn; to grant to those who mourn in Zion to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit; that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the Lord,  that he may be glorified.  They shall build up the ancient ruins; they shall raise up the former devastations; they shall repair the ruined cities, the devastations of many generations.
Are you brokenhearted? 

While dating my wife Kim I was smitten. I was in love and as Buddy the Elf said spinning around his father’s board room, “I’m in love, I’m in love and I don’t care who knows it.”   I was so in love that I asked Kim to marry me a month after I met her.  After scaring her to death she said, “Some day.” I was getting plenty of sugar, so was ok with that.   However, after a little incident with borrowing her car and not getting back on time she decided to break up with me. When she told me that, I stood in her apartment and just wept like a kid beat up in the school yard. The next day we were leaving on a trip to St. Louis for a symposium.  I lay on the floor of the van thinking I was dying.  My chest hurt, I could not think straight, it was the most terrible feeling that I ever had. I was broken hearted.  I had never felt that way about anyone and do not long to every feel that again.  Well, Kim and changed her mind but the time I got back. She asked me out on a date, showered me with kisses and 22 years later the rest is history. Woo-Hoo, she still makes my heart leap.
I realize nonetheless, I am speaking to those who may not have such a happy ending.
What does the term mean when we say “broken hearted”? This is a figure of speech we use to describe the pain or suffering that comes from hurt, loss, and suffering. It is used in particular concerning the loss of a lover from a breakup in a relationship. Not only this, but heart-break can result from the loss of a loved one {child, parent, spouse} through death, divorce, and even moving away from friends or family.  For a time some people are inconsolable during these losses.

Even insults cans break your heart. David speaks of this, “Insults have broken my heart and left me weak, I looked for sympathy but there was none; I found no one to comfort me. {Psalm 69:20} 

It can also describe a real spiritual condition. “A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit. {Pr 15:13 NLT}  David was depressed and talk about when he used to go to church and it helped him but now he says,” When I remember these things, I speak with a broken heart. I used to walk with the crowd and lead them to God's Temple with songs of praise. {Ps 42:4 NCV}

Heart-broken? Have you ever used that term to describe the times that you had such pain emotionally that you could physically feel it?   There is actually a condition - appropriately known as "broken heart syndrome" - where a traumatizing incident triggers the brain to distribute chemicals that weaken heart tissue.  This says much about the power of our mind and the need to seek God’s word during these times of loss.

[1]“The symptoms of a "broken heart" can manifest themselves through psychological pain but for many the effect is physical. Although the experience is regarded commonly as indescribable, the following is a list of common symptoms that occur: A perceived tightness of the chest, similar to an anxiety attack. Stomachache and/or loss of appetite, partial or complete insomnia, anger, shock, nostalgia {talking about the past}, apathy (loss of interest) Anhedonia (inability to feel pleasure), Feelings of loneliness, feelings of hopelessness and despair.  Loss of self-respect and/or self-esteem, Medical or psychological illness (for example depression), Suicidal thoughts (in extreme cases), Nausea, Fatigue, The thousand-yard stare, Constant or frequent crying, Takotsubo cardiomyopathy { which is simply put heart ballooning and congestive heart failure} also a feeling of complete emptiness, In extreme cases, death.”  

But though the symptoms are real, but the recovery can be sure.

I want you to consider today that one of the first things Jesus said he was sent to do in proclaim the good news was to  “Bind up the broken hearted”  In Hebrew the term broken mean “in pieces or shattered.”  The words “Bind up” means bandaged. He will put their hearts back together. He will bandage the broken heart.   The scripture says in Psalms 147:3, “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.”

Today, if you are experiencing a broken heart God is closer to you now than ever in Ps 34:18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.”
He wants to fill your heart with his healing love.  Today I feel with you and have prayed this message will help you!

Jer 8:21-22 “For my dear broken people, I'm heartbroken. I weep, seized by grief.  Are there no healing ointments in Gilead? Isn't there a doctor in the house? So why can't something be done to heal and save my dear, dear people?” THE MESSAGE:

Something can be done now because of Jesus! He wants to forgive you, and heal your broken heart: Let him.

Please CLICK ON THIS song ONE THING I KNOW http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_S7CWRCIf8

1 comment:

  1. While studying to be an EMT/Paramedic, the heart was always focused as the center of the physiological point of reference. As goes the heart, so go the rest of the body's organs! Phraseology used regrding the heart such as "at the heart of", "heart felt" and of course, not for the "faint of heart" centers the heart in our lives. The heart delivers life sustaining blood, which in itself carries life giving oxygen and nutrients to the cells of the organs which allows the entire body to function successfully, thrive and survive. As it is the body's main supplier of strength, it is also a delicate and some what complicated organ. Did you know, the heart does not rely ony the "electrical current" other organ depend on. The heart owns it's own electrical current, which dicatates the various heart rthyms which allow the heart muscle to function as designed. As our Father has designed the wonderous body organ in His divine wisdom, to meet out bodyily functions, but left a "soft spot" to be filled with sentiment, love, hope, faith, and if we choose, it can be consistently molded to His desires. That is if we choose to listen to the voice of the Holy Spirit, allowing His goodness to reside. As with the physical cardiac ordgan, if one chooses to live against medical advice by not eating,correctly, smoking, abusing alchol and drugs, the wonderful organ designed to allow us to thrive will falter. The spiritual heart is as delicate as well and if we choose to live against the Holy Spirit's advice, it will falter as well, allowing heart break, for us and God. But we have the designer Cardiologist, in Jesus Christ, to take away the dying effects of sin, but again only if we choose.
    Heartbreak is uncomfortable to be sure, and without the right intervention, will have untoward effects. But as Ps 7:9 tells us, "My shield is God, Who saves the upright in heart."

    ReplyDelete